Noob Guide to Content Marketing
A lot of changes have happened in the world of SEO. Before, online marketers can repeatedly input their keywords across their websites without getting banned. But nowadays, you need to make sure that you are following Google Webmaster Guidelines.The only remaining constant in SEO is “Content”.
Just because you added some phrases to your old content and changed your byline date, you can’t say it’s been updated and it’s fresh. This is a misconception by some webmasters who thought they could get away with it and get higher rankings.
To understand more about fresh content, I have listed two types of content that you can consider using to your advantage:
Image from EmpowerNetwork
- QDF (Query Deserves Freshness)
Example: New Google Panda Update Rolling Out Now: What Changes Are Webmasters Seeing?
This is a component of the Google algorithm that pays special attention to queries that may need frequent updating, such as breaking news stories.
- Evergreen Content
Example: Evergreen Content Case Study
Evergreen content is content that is always fresh and relevant like instructions, demonstrations, technical stuff that can be used over and over again.
Check out what Matt Cutts said about fresh content below:
Disadvantages of not having fresh content
Some people are really lazy when it comes to writing shareable articles. I listed down three (3) disadvantages to not keeping your content interesting and fresh:
- You are giving your competitor the upper hand. Don’t you just hate it when your competitors formulate new and interesting content that could attract even your most loyal readers?
- Less people will link to your website. We all know that high quality content is easily shared. It gets mentioned from other websites and even in social media. If no one will link to your website, then you will potentially miss to drive more than half of your potential traffic to your website.
- Your regular visitors will decrease over time. Regular visitors usually bookmark tons of websites and check them once in a while when there’s another article that could be of interest them. If they see that you have not updated your website in a long time, they might forget you or worse remove you from their list of favorites.
Advantages of having fresh content
- SEO strategy constantly changes, while content marketing doesn’t. Google updates their algorithm regularly to fight spam and improve search quality. This means that your strategy from last year cannot be used today while content marketing remains the same.
- Good content is shareable. Content can be product pages, blog posts, lists, guides, slideshows, directories, articles, infographics and videos that can attract people to your website. Remember the video “Charlie bit my finger”? Yes! That’s it. The two brothers where Charlie (the baby) bit Harry’s (the older kid) finger. Although it was made on May 22, 2007, it still has an impact on people up to now and it has 535,707,151 views on YouTube.If you still haven’t seen the video: http://www.youtube.com/embed/_OBlgSz8sSM
- Trust builder. If your readers / subscribers find your content helpful in solving their problems, they tend to stick around until they are ready to buy.
Tips and tricks on how to create shareable content
1.) Writing Ideas
Create an outline first before writing your article. This will act as blueprint of your article and will serve as a guide to your article. Always refer to your outline so that you don’t drift away from your topic.
● Clear and Direct to the point.
I just remembered an article from an influential SEO blogger, “Every content asset is a landing page”. The blogger states that if you are going to create an article make sure you treat it as a landing page, clear and direct to the point.
● Infographics, Ebooks, etc.
Gather additional information that can add value to your article. Visually engaging content improves user engagement.
● Well-researched Topics
Never create a half-assed article. Make sure that your article is consistently informative and well-researched so it can generate long term interest.
● Demand and Supply
Create articles that have not been widely covered. Remember, when supply decreases demand increases.
● Videos & Images
Always support your content with related images and videos. This will improve general user experience.
Always provide examples so that your readers can easily understand what you are pointing out.
2.) Technical side
Use keywords in filenames when dealing with videos and images. In SEO, this is also called images / video optimisation wherein incorporating keywords on images and videos.It can also be included in ALT tags and descriptions of the images/videos.
● Strong, Italic, underline and header
Use proper tags when creating an article. Excessive use of these tags makes content harder to read or navigate.
๐ Use <strong> instead of <b>
๐ Use “style=”text-decoration: underline” instead of <u>
๐ Use H1 for Title
๐ Use H2 for subtitle
● Sharing Buttons
Incorporate attractive sharing buttons onto your website. This will make it easy for users to share your article.
To be able to create effective and shareable content you need to perform the following steps:
- Create first an outline and list all necessary things you want to include.
- Arrange your outline into 3 sections: Introduction, body and conclusion or summary.
- By following your outline, devise content that is share worthy by researching your topic carefully.
- Use images, infographics or videos to engage your target viewers visually.
- Include examples if you need to elaborate your point.
- Add proper tags such as Strong, Italic, H1 and underline if necessary.
- Double check everything from the grammar up to the flow of your article.
- Make sure you incorporate your sharing buttons onto your website to make it easy for your subscribers/readers to share your article.