7 Conversion Rate Optimisation Tips to Increase More Profits
Every website should have a goal. Your website’s goal can be “to sell a product or service” or “share information”. If you’re getting huge amounts of traffic and not getting any leads from your goals, it’s now the time to think about Conversion Rate Optimisation (CRO).
What is Conversion Rate?
Conversion rate means the percentage of visitors who end up reaching a certain goal. This goal can be “visitors who placed an order”, “subscribed to your newsletter” or “downloaded material” from your website. To be able to start to attract visitors to convert, you need to start with CRO (Conversion Rate Optimisation). Below are some tips to improve your conversions:
1.) Improve your Call to Action (CTA)
Call to action is one of the most important aspects of your website. A call to action is any phrase or image that aims to persuade the visitor to perform an immediate action.
Here are some tips to improve your CTAs:
● A good call to action must be clear, prominent and above the fold.
● Your call to action must be action-oriented – you must use a command that encourages an action for visitors to take.
● Have engaging copy – This is one of the most important things to have on your landing page, make sure that your content is engaging and relevant. You have to ensure that it is compelling that still focuses on your services or products’ features and benefits.
● Develop a sense of urgency – Create a call to action with a sense of urgency such as limited time offers or a special promo for immediate action.
● Different components of CTA that you can test are the following:
๐ Placement of CTA – your CTA button should be placed in an obvious location.
๐ Colour of CTA button – a colour that stands out against the colour of your page.
๐ Size of CTA – the size should be noticeable enough.
๐ Your offer – you can include offers like a free trial
๐ Graphic or Image use of CTA
Few examples of websites that have improved conversions through CRO:
Changing their headline from “Feel fresh without sweat marks” to “Put an end to sweat marks!” improved their conversions by 93%. The latter is action-driven that resulted to an increased conversions.
One of the easiest to test is the color of the CTA. Performable changed their CTA button to red and their conversions increased by 21%.
2.) Optimise your Checkout Process
During the checkout process, visitors are most vulnerable to abandonment. Every element of the checkout process is necessary and it should reflect the following:
● Payment Methods – Show all the payment gateways for your visitors.
● Transparency – Be transparent. Give accurate pricing, shipping and tax.
● Security – Let your visitors know that your website and the information they input is secured.
Things to look at to improve your checkout process:
● Limit the number of steps needed to take to checkout completion
● Allow your visitors to see the number of steps required to completion
● Consider more ways for people to pay
● Use Facebook Connect
● Avoid unnecessary buttons on the checkout page
● Keep your checkout form linear
3.) Add Testimonials / Reviews
Adding testimonials can help improve conversions as these give people the assurance that previous visitors had success with you thus it gives them insights how reputable your offers or products are.
A video testimonial would be better than a testimonial with an image. If you have an ecommerce website, allow the users the ability to add ratings and testimonials to build trust and social proof. Start getting testimonials from happy customers!
4.) Increase Your Trust
If you are not well trusted yet in your industry, there’s a need to persuade your visitors that you’re a trust worthy company. Here are some ways to improve your visitors’ trust:
● Add safe payment, return guarantee and trusted seller icons.
● Show awards, industry accreditations or certifications.
● Add secure buttons to make your visitors feel safe when they make purchases or input personal information.
● Show social proof – prove to your readers or visitors that you are a safe choice.
● Include your physical address and office location on your site to show that you’re a legitimate business.
Image from Zappos
5.) Add Client’s Logo
One of the ways to motivate new visitors to check more of your business is by showcasing well-known companies that have featured you on their website or companies have gone business with you.
Making your clients’ logo visible on your website can boost your branding, establish trust and develop interest.
Image from Crazy Egg
6.) Add Tracking
Make sure that you have proper working tracking for your website so that you can see what is working for you.
Tools you can use for tracking:
Google Analytics is a free tool that allows you to see your website’s performance. You can track conversions, sign ups, clicks, engagement, social media or anything else that matter to your business.
Heat Map Tool – Set up a heat mapping tool on your landing page to be able to see where your visitor’s eyes are moving and understand their behaviour. Heat maps mainly record where visitors move their mouse and click. You might be surprised to discover that no one is actually looking at the button on your page.
Example of Heat map:
7.) Test. Test. Test.
Testing is certainly important in the whole process of creating a solid plan to improve your conversions.
Here are types of tests that you can conduct:
● A/B Testing
A/B testing involves the process of testing 2 versions of your landing page.
● Multivariate Testing
Multivariate testing doesn’t involve testing 2 versions but testing elements on your page. It can be thought of testing numerous A/B tests within a single page at the same time.
There will always be a room for improvement, even for conversions. It doesn’t mean that what worked for us or other websites will work for you. Also keep in mind that what didn’t work for us and other websites may work for you. Don’t be afraid to make any changes to improve your website. Testing really matters!
What other conversion tips do you have that you may want to share? Let us know in the comments!